We’re currently embarking on a project to evaluate an emerging global ecosystem and help take it to the next level. To prepare for the assessment I’m revisiting the draft of the 5 Stages of Coherence I started developing last year. This is yet another maturity model in our toolbox, joining the Future-Ready Assessment and the 5 Stages of a Sustainable Brand process and workshop for sustainability strategy.
The Coherence model helps identify how far along an organization or sector is on the path to powerful, purposeful alignment. True forward motion and any meaningful outcome requires working in tandem, not at cross-purposes. Yet silos and us-vs-them thinking still reigns supreme in our culture (Stage 1).
Stage 1: Absent:
- All components acting in a fragmented, isolated way; no connections, intentionality or organizing principle
Stage 2: Instinctive:
- Connections beginning to form among similar parties; much of the system remains disconnected
Stage 3: Awake:
- System is waking up to itself; some coherence achieved and common intentions are recognized, yet full intentionality and collaboration not yet achieved
Stage 4: Directed:
- Master-planned coherence; clear intentionality, connections and collaboration between components, yet all is based on top-down mandate so may not be sustainable in a changing, volatile environment
• Stage 5: Transformative:
- Combination of top-down and bottom-up coherence; rules of the system are set to enable transformation to emerge from actions and interactions; full participation and active co-creation
Where is your organization on this scale?